Uniform Bar Exam Transfer
Uniform Bar Examination (UBE) scores earned outside of New Mexico may be transferred for admission to New Mexico so long as they:
- Were earned within 36 months of the application date.
- Reflect a score of 260 or above.
There is no filing deadline other than the 36-month requirement, and successful applicants may be sworn in throughout the year. Applicants should bear in mind that the application process can take longer than six months and plan accordingly. For the full requirements for admission under UBE Transfer, please review the New Mexico Rules Governing Admission [link]. If you did not receive a J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school, see Information for Non-ABA Applicants [link].
Process and Forms
Please read the New Mexico Rules Governing Admission [link] and Uniform Bar Examination Transfer Application Instructions [pdf] before beginning your application.
The following items must be submitted in a single application packet:
- New Mexico UBE Transfer Cover Sheet [pdf]
- Application Fee (paid by check/money order or Credit Card Authorization Form [pdf])
- Character and Fitness Application [link]
- NMBBE Authorization and Release Form [pdf]
- Certificate(s) of Good Standing and Disciplinary Board Letter(s) from any state in which you are already licensed
- Current credit report [link]
- Character and Fitness Statement [pdf]
- Statistical Data Form [pdf]
Please keep copies of all documents that you submit to our office. To receive a copy of your submitted materials, you must request a copy of your file [link].
The following items must be requested by the applicant and sent directly to the NMBBE by the issuing entity:
- Uniform Bar Examination Score [link]
- Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination Score (MPRE) [link]
- Transcript from law school with evidence of graduation
- Law School Certification Form [pdf]
- FBI and NM State Criminal Records [link]
Unable to fill in PDFs on your computer? Download the latest version of Adobe Reader here [link].
All application materials must be mailed to:
UBE Transfer Application
New Mexico Board of Bar Examiners
20 First Plaza Center NW, Suite 710
Albuquerque, NM 87102
Prior to admission:
All applicants for admission to New Mexico must take the required class in New Mexico law prior to admission. UBE transfer applicants may take this class at any time after submitting the application packet. For a list of class dates and to register, click here [link].
All attorneys sworn in to practice law in New Mexico must submit, within 30 days of licensure, the New Lawyer Application/Deferment/Exemption form through the New Mexico State Bar. Please see this page for more information [link].
UBE Participating Jurisdictions
For more information on transferring a UBE score from New Mexico to another UBE jurisdiction, visit the website of the state or territory to which you will transfer (linked below) and that of the National Conference of Bar Examiners.
- Alabama (260 required score)
- Alaska (280)
- Arizona (273)
- Colorado (276)
- Connecticut (266)
- District of Columbia (266)
- Idaho (280)
- Illinois (266) – July 2019
- Iowa (266)
- Kansas (266)
- Maine (276)
- Maryland (266) – July 2019
- Massachusetts (270)
- Minnesota (260)
- Missouri (260)
- Montana (266)
- Nebraska (270)
- New Hampshire (270)
- New Jersey (266)
- New Mexico (260)
- New York (266)
- North Carolina (270)
- North Dakota (260)
- Oregon (274)
- Rhode Island (276)
- South Carolina (266)
- Tennessee (270)
- Utah (270)
- Vermont (270)
- Washington (270)
- West Virginia (270)
- Wyoming (270)
- U.S. Virgin Islands (266)